Wednesday, September 17

#10

So...I decided to go to Brazil next semester, my school is offering a study abroad there for the semester and they are offering my last 3 classes for my bachelors. I put in the application last week and found out Monday that I was picked...only 5 spots were available, out of the 17 that showed initial interest only a few applied. We'll be part of an international exchange program, where we'll be going to IBMEC-Sau Paulo and living with families down there...what better way to learn a new culture. I'll be there from Febuary to June...Brazillian Carnival anyone??

The more superficial or short reasons of why I want to go is to experience more of the world and to make it to my fourth continent (I want to hit up all 7, maybe not Antartica though...pretty extreme)

A more deep and porfound reason for wanting to go...is well kind of a two-part story...First off, it goes back to when I was in Turkey and two of the main things I learned, to get the most out of my career (Global Business), 1) get a master's degree, and 2) learn a second language; since I am still working on the pre-requisite to the first I'm going to start working on the second...learning Portuguese (which I learned is spoken in Protugal, Brazil, and Angola)

Secondly...it dates back a whole 2 or 3 weeks (maybe, technically, it goes back a few years with how God has changed me, we'll just look at the recent though). This part took way when I first heard the new Brandon Heath song "Give Me Your Eyes" (look it up here). I started really praying the chorus of that song...if you want God to rock your world, do that (it worked for me at least). Anyways...after a couple days I couldn't stop researching Angola (southern Africa, by the way). It took me awhile to realize that those two events (me praying and then me wanting to find out more about Angola) may have not been a coincidence...I'm a little slow sometimes. Now...I don't know if God is calling me to go to Angola at some point in my life (although I'd love to) but I do know that it will prepare me to go to 3 more countries and be able to share the love and power of Jesus (yes I could go to other countries and only speak English and God can easily still use me, but how much better can it be speaking their native tongue...I don't know but it's worth finding out)

So...yes...I am going to Brazil and I can't wait!!!

Peace

#7 will come soon, I don't have time now


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. Thanks for responding.

What an amazing opportunity for you to be picked. I always thought that best way to get to know a culture or people group would be to submerge yourself in their lifestyle for an extended period of time.